This policy represents the framework applicable to media at Sultan Qaboos University, regulates the electronic
and printed publication platform at the university as per the Press and Publication Law issued by the Ministry
of Information and the Executive Regulations of Sultan Qaboos University.
1. General Principles:
- The Public Relations and Information Department is the only authorized unit to publish any information about
the University to the community through the various media means.
- Any university unit shall refer to the Public Relations and Information Department in case of publishing any
information in the various media means.
- The unit shall refer to the Public Relations and Information Department before publishing any publications,
website, visual or audio materials about the university.
- Any university staff shall not speak to the different media means on topics in the above mentioned policy
definition, unless he/she refers to the Public Relations and Information Department.
- All units should use the unified university policy model and the requirements of this policy when charting
their own policies.
This policy is applicable to all university units.
- Information and news shall be taken from reliable resources and when any misinformation is published, it will be corrected immediately.
- Any materials related to moral crimes and issues of misdemeanor or dishonesty in the university and society shall not be addressed.
- Issues related to political affairs that harm the security and image of the country or affect other states shall not be addressed.
- Economic and financial issues that would destabilize the national economy, adversely affect its national currency or cause financial losses, either directly or indirectly, shall not be addressed.
- Topics that breach the principles of Islam or the divine religions and its rituals shall not be published.
- Any press material, data, or verbal implication related to race, color, religion, sect, denomination, sexual orientation, illness, mental or physical disabilities shall not be addressed.
- Topics that harm staff or student at the university or any government or private group or institution shall not be addressed.
- Any publications related to patient details or medical files shall not be published, except in general or public study, and after taking permission from the person/s concerned.
- Shall not publish or any information collected through illegal means such as overhearing, stealing documents or files, or spying on calls or emails.
- The language used in the publications shall be correct, clear and accessible to the reader.
- No changes shall be made to direct quotations that may change their meaning, except linguistic editing.
- Commercial and promotional materials that offend religious beliefs, promote violence, or intended for instigation shall not be published; any advertisement must be approved by the editor in chief or his / her representative.
- The editorial board receives all the contributions from university students, employees and writers that have not been published; and shall be committed to publish the contributions that commensurate with its publishing regulations.
- The editorial board shall give the opportunity to correct and respond to the errors when required, and shall be obliged to correct the information that is published if it proven to be incorrect.
- Individuals’ privacy shall be respected and shall not be violated, and shall not publish any publication or photographs related to them without their personal approval.
- Must respect individual’s desire in conducting personal or public interviews, and not insist or force them to do so.
- The intellectual property rights of individuals and institutions must be adhered to and the materials, images or drawings protected by the intellectual property law shall not used. The source of images and information shall be mentioned.
- It is allowed to take photographs or information published in the publications of the Department or the Website, while retaining the right to source and it is not allowed to reuse them for commercial benefit or to cut the texts at the time of publication.
- Photographs of people from inside or outside the university shall not be published without obtaining their permission.
- Images used in the publications by photo programs shall not modified in a way that mislead the reader, except for technical corrections.